Step by Step Guide through the Approval Process
Site Inspections - contact the following list of departments to find out what necessary steps and inspections are needed for your property and your intended improvements.
- County or City/Village Engineering & LUC Regional Planning Commission
- Logan County Soil & Water Conservation District
- Logan County Health District & Logan County Sewer District
- Township & City/Village Zoning
- Logan County Building Authority
The information listed below is only intended to point out the basic steps and departments you should contact. For complete details and procedure requirements, you can access each department's website directly from the sheet titled "Guidelines and Contacts" located on our HELPFUL DOCUMENTS page.
Local Engineering (County/City/Village), LUC Regional Planning
- Contact the Logan County Engineer for all addresses and driveway permits on township & county roads. Contact the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) for state road driveway permits; the county engineer will still assign the address after ODOT has approval of the driveway installation.
- Inside Bellefontaine or within any of the Village corporation limits, contact those local offices for driveway requirements and to assign an address.
- LUC regional planning can provide you with information concerning city, village and township officials. They provide assistance on any current or proposed development you are interested in.
Logan County Soil & Water Conservation District
Floodplain Administration (beginning October 1, 2022)
This office will help you in determining the soil type(s) located on your property. This is necessary to plan for the following installations: Septic Systems, Wells, Driveways, non right-of-way Culvert Tiles (for tiles placed in any road right-of-way, contact the County Engineer or ODOT), Surface Water Drainage and Floodplain Determination (beginning October 1, 2022).
Logan County Health District & Logan County Sewer District Obtain from the Health District: permits for any On-Site Septic Systems or Wells.
Obtain from the Sewer District: permits for New Sewer Taps and Reconnects to existing.
- One should always secure a site inspection prior to the purchase of land to verify whether or not the
lot can be built upon, support a septic system and well or has sanitary sewer available an public water. Information typically obtained during an inspection: lot size and its dimensions, soils data, topography analysis, homeowner’s desires for the property - i.e., future home site locale, pond, barn, pasture. Some of this information may have been obtained from the Soil & Water office.
- Site Inspection will be required to determine the location of the Septic System location, along with it's replacement area, and also the Well location. It may also be needed to verify the sewer tap location. Their locations will be impacted by your soil type and location of both existing and intended new structures. and for sewer, where the lateral extends to your property.
- Detailed Drawing of Lot (commonly know as a SITE PLAN) - include property dimensions, house dimensions, placement of well, driveway, type and size of septic system including discharge point; it is preferred that this drawing be to scale on an 8 1/2 by 11 paper. An excellent site plan can be drawn on a copy of the most recent survey of the property. Use the same site plan for the Sewer District permit application.
- Recorded Easements - written permission to cross adjacent properties with any outlet tiles and stamped at the Logan County Recorder’s Office, this also includes any wastewater or curtain drain water tied into existing tiles which drain off lot. These may be included on the recorded survey
- The well permit may be obtained at any time during the process but is usually done when the septic permit is applied for.
- Use the same Detailed Drawing/Site Plan for both the Septic Permit and for the Well Permit.
City, Village or Township Zoning Permit
- Obtain from the Township Zoning Inspector, if applicable
- Each township has its own requirement regarding minimum road frontage, setbacks, square feet per household, and other things
- This permit must be obtained after the Septic Permit has been issued
- Obtain from the Building Authority
- Health Permit for septic system
- Township Zoning Permit
- Two sets of construction plans which include type of foundation, reinforcement, back fill cross section of construction, size and spacing of support post and pads, beam size, size and span of floor joists, size and spacing of rafters or trusses, floor plan layout with dimensions, plumbing fixture location, type of heating system, electric service size, power company or any further Building Department requirements. After review, you will obtain your building permit
- Occupancy Permit (Logan County Building Regulation Department), contact the Building Department for exact requirements to obtain a written Certificate of Occupancy
Opens in new window
Opens in new window