To receive the Owner Occupied Credit tax reduction on your home you must own the home as of January 1st of the year you are applying and occupy the home as your principal place of residence for a substantial part of each year.
The reduction applies to 1 acre home site and the home itself. Additional acreage does not apply. The homestead tax reduction does not apply to the following homes:
- Rental homes or apartments
- Homes occupied by someone other than the owner
- Homes owned by corporation (profit or non-profit), partnerships, associations or groups
- A unit within a building where the building is used primarily for retail, commercial or other non-residential purposes
- House trailers and mobile homes not being treated like real estate
Apply to Receive the Reduction
Please check your tax bills to see if you are already receiving the reduction. Applications may be picked up at the auditor’s office or printed online. The application period is from January 1 to December 31st each year.